The Original Recipe:
I received this recipe in an email from Taste of Home. It looked delicious. I hadn't yet planned anything for supper that day, so breakfast sounded like a great compromise. However, upon reading the instructions I found that it needed to be in the refrigerator overnight. I prompltly thawed out some sausage and cooked it up. I then assembled this dish right afterwards and stuck it in the refrigerator. We ate it later that night. It was in the 'fridge for about 6 hours before I took it out for the 30 minutes before baking. I think it turned out just fine. I don't know what leaving it sit overnight in the 'fridge would have done to it, but everyone loved it anyway.
Cheese Sausage Stratta
60 75 Ingredients
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 9 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 9 slices bread, cubed ( I used whole wheat)
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese ( I used half shredded swiss, too)
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the eggs, milk, bread, cheese, bacon and mustard. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts 1 serving equals 373 calories, 25 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 217 mg cholesterol, 1,097 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 23 g protein.