Sausage, Biscuit and Gravy Casserole

The Menu:
Sausage, Biscuit and Gravy Casserole


The Original Recipe:
I found this recipe while browsing through my blog list that I follow. I knew right when I read the title of this recipe that we would love it. One of our favorite meals is sausage gravy and biscuits around this house! We also love this recipe for Grandma Macks Breakfast Casserole. It's one of our all-time favorites! So, mix the two together, and voila! You have this recipe! Loved it! I didn't add the cheese either. It didn't need it. I would make this to take to potlucks for our church where we take a breakfast dish, too. Oh, yes... I almost forgot to say... I made the biscuits and fried up the sausage in the morning. I cut the biscuits in half, & I let it all cool for about an hour. I then assembled it, but the tops, I just tore the biscuits up, but the bottoms I left whole (half). I covered it and let it in the fridge all day long until about 4, when I usually start getting supper ready. So, it was assembled from about 10 in the morning until 4.


Sausage, Biscuit, and Gravy Casserole
http://thegourmandmom.com/

***

Ingredients

• 8 large buttermilk biscuits, frozen or refrigerated

• 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage (without casings)

• 8 eggs

• 1 envelope country gravy mix

• 2 cups milk

• 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions

Bake the biscuits according to package directions, using the lower end of the recommended cooking time so they do not overcook. When cool enough to handle, cut the biscuits in half to create a top and a bottom. Set aside.

Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat, until fully cooked. Use the edge of a spoon to break the sausage into small pieces as it cooks.

Spray a 13×9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Line the bottom of the baking dish with the bottom halves of the biscuits. Scatter the cooked sausage on top of the biscuits. Sprinkle about 1 1/2 cups of the cheese over the sausage.

In a large bowl, whisk together the gravy mix, milk, and eggs, until well combined. Pour the mixture into the baking dish.

Arrange the top halves of the biscuits over the eggs. Lightly press the biscuits into the egg mixture.

If desired, cover and refrigerate the mixture for a few hours or overnight.

Bake in a 350 degrees oven for 50-55 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the biscuits during the last 5 minutes of cooking time. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Comments

Velva said…
As soon as I saw this recipe, I immediately thought of my dad. he would love it. This is just the kind of dish, he finds soulful and comforting.

Thanks for sharing.

Velva
Anonymous said…
Just made this for dinner. All I can say is YUM-EEEEE!!!! Will absoutely make this again. Would be a great brunch dish. Thanks for the recipe!!!
Anonymous said…
Just made this tonight. I covered the top with a piece of aluminum foil just layed over the pan, which kept the biscuits from burning. My hubby really liked this too, so this is another recipe I can add to my rotation. :)