Grilled Pork Skewers with Peanut- Basil Sauce

The Menu:
Grilled Pork Skewers with Peanut-Basil Sauce

The Original Recipe:
I found this reviewed on Babycenter posted by Niki5959. It was simple to make. I served it with Parmasean Basil Orzo and Snow Peas. My kids thought it was ok. Really, they didn't care for the "dipping" sauce of the peanuty mix, but they ate the meat with the marinade on it. I thought it good, my huband really liked it, so we had mixed reviews. I would make it again, but only if I ran out of other things to do with my delicious pork tenderloin... However, it must be reviewed because someone else might love it. I did add 1 tbls. of honey into the mix because it just didn't taste quite right with out it.


Grilled Pork Skewers with Peanut-Basil Sauce


Time: 30 minutes

By: Mark Bittman, New York Times

Ingredients:

20 to 30 fresh basil leaves

1/2 cup peanut butter, preferably chunky

3/4 cup coconut milk

2 tablespoons soy sauce, more to taste

1 clove garlic, peeled

1 inchlong piece of ginger, peeled

1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes

Juice of 1 lime, plus lime wedges for garnish

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 pound boneless pork shoulder or loin.

Method:

1. In a blender, combine all ingredients except pork and process until you have a smooth paste. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed: mixture should be salty, spicy and hot. Set about 1/2 cup of marinade aside to use as dipping sauce.

2. Slice pork into 1-inch cubes and toss with rest of marinade until it is all well coated. Thread meat onto skewers, without crowding.

3. Heat a grill, grill pan or broiler until quite hot; cook pork until brown all over, turning once, about 5 to 8 minutes total. Serve with reserved dipping sauce and garnish with lime wedges.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

*Kowboys Notes: I added 1 tbls. Honey to the marinade/sauce.

Comments