Strawberry Cheesecake Chimichangas

The Menu:
Strawberry Cheesecake Chimichanga
 




The Original Recipe:
I saw this on Pinterest. They looked good, and so I pinned them. It just so happens I am up later than usual because I am waiting for my oldest son to come visit!! I needed something to do while I wait. So, in the kitchen I went. I just so happened to have the ingredients for these tasty treats. They are very tasty. The filling reminds me of my Marshmellow Fluff Stuff and Strawberries wrapped up in a tiny, yet filling, package! Of course I changed mine, just a tad (recipe follows this one!)... Delicious as usual!

Strawberry Cheesecake Chimichangas
Author: 
Recipe type: Dessert
Prep time: 
Cook time: 
Total time: 
Serves: 6
 
Cheesecake filing with fresh strawberries, rolled in tortillas and coated with cinnamon-sugar.
Ingredients
For chimichangas:
  • 6 (8-inch) soft flour tortillas
  • 8 oz cream cheese ( room temperature)
  • 2 Tablespoon sour cream
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¾ cups sliced strawberries
  • Vegetable oil-for frying
For coating:
  • 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
  • ⅓ cup sugar
For serving:
  • 1 cup sliced strawberries
Instructions
  1. Beat cream cheese , sour cream, 1 tablespoon sugar and vanilla extract .
  2. Fold in ¾ cup of sliced fresh strawberries.
  3. Divide the mixture evenly between 6 tortillas. Slather the filling in the lower third of each tortilla, fold the two sides of each tortilla toward the center and then roll the tortilla up like a burrito (secure it with a toothpicks!) .
  4. Combine ⅓ cup sugar with 1 tablespoon cinnamon in a shallow bowl and set aside.
  5. Line a large plate with paper towels.
  6. In about 5 inch deep saucepan place about 2 -2½ inch vegetable oil for frying and heat it over medium-high heat until it reaches 360ºF.
  7. Fry the chimichangas until golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes and flip them as needed (work in batches)
  8. Transfer the chimichangas to the paper towel on a plate to drain for a minute, then roll them in the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
  9. Don’t forget to remove all toothpicks from the chimichangas!!!
 
The Way I Made It My Own:
You know me! Forever changing a recipe because I just cannot seem to follow directions. These turned out just yummy! I think they taste so much better once they have cooled off. I didn't care for them hot or even warm, although some vanilla ice cream on top would work just fine to cool it down!! Still good. I would make these again. I wonder what some Basil would taste like in there? Hmm...
 
Strawberry Cheesecake Chimichangas
For chimichangas:
 
6 (8-inch) soft flour tortillas
8 oz cream cheese ( room temperature)
2 Tablespoon greek yogurt
3  Tablespoons Powder Sugar (you can probably use honey or other sweeteners)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cups sliced strawberries
 
For coating:
 
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
⅓ cup sugar
1/2 stick melted butter
 
Instructions:
 
Preheat Oven 350 degrees
 
Beat cream cheese , greek yogurt, powder sugar and vanilla extract until smooth .
 
Mix together cinnamon and sugar. Set aside.
 
Meanwhile, on cookie sheet, brush melted butter all over the sheet pan. Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar mixture over butter on pan, covering lightly.
 
Divide the cream mixture evenly between 6 tortillas. Slather the filling in the lower third of each tortilla, cover filling with a handful of sliced strawberries. Fold the two sides of each tortilla toward the center and then roll the tortilla up like a burrito. Place fold side down on top of cinnamon sugar on pan.
 
Next, using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the burritos, liberally, with melted butter. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over all the tops covering completely. It will stick to the butter.
 
Bake on middle rack 25 minutes. Let cool and serve. Or serve warm with some Ice Cream. You choose. :)
 
 
 

Comments