Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits

The Menu:
Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits


The Original Recipe:
Who doesn't love a good biscuit to go with home made soups or stews or even sausage gravy and biscuits? I have a friend who made these, and they were AWESOME!! I had to get the recipe. These are from America's Test Kitchen. Need I say more? Of course they're good!

Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits

3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tbls. baking powder
1 tbls. sugar (I made them with and with out the sugar. It made no difference to me. Either way they were good!)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
4 tbls. (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch cubes (I used a cheese grater and grated it into my flour. I used a pastry cutter to cut it into the flour that way. I have also used cold coconut oil and done the same thing)
1 1/2 cups cold buttermilk (I usually use reconstituted powder buttermilk)

Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 500 degrees. Spray a 9 inch round cake pan with oil spray. Generously spray the inside and outside of a 1/4 cup dry measure with the same spray; set aside. Spread 1 cup of the flour out onto the rimmed baking sheet; set aside.

Process the remaining 2 cups of flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda in a food processor to combine, about six 1-second pulses. Scatter the butter cubes evenly over the dry ingredients and pulse until the mixture resembles pebbly coarse cornmeal, eight to ten 1-second pulses. (this is where I just use my pastry dough cutter to cut in the butter and combine everything. I've never had any issues). Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl. Add the buttermilk and stir with rubber spatula until just incorporated. (the dough will be VERY wet and slightly lumpy).

Working quickly, use the prepared 1/4 cup measure to scoop a level amount of dough and drop it from the measuring cup in to the flour on the baking sheet. If the dough sticks gently scoop it out with a spoon onto the flour. Repeat with the remaining dough, forming 12 evenly sized mounds. Dust the tops of each piece of dough with flour from the baking sheet. With floured hands, gently pick up a piece of dough and coat it with flour; gently shape the dough into a rough ball and shake off the excess flour. Place it in the prepared cake pan (I used a high rimmed pie plate because I didn't have a round cake pan!). Repeat with remaining dough, arranging 9 rounds around the perimeter of the cake pan and 3 in the center.

Bake biscuits for 5 minutes, then reduce the oven temp to 450 degrees and continue to bake until the biscuits are deep golden brown about 15 minutes longer. Cool the biscuits in the pan for 2 minutes, then flip them out onto a clean kitchen towel. Turn the biscuits right side up, break them apart, and cool for 5 minutes before serving...

Comments