Bagel and Cream Cheese Baked French Toast

The Menu:
Bagel and Cream Cheese Baked French Toast


The Original Recipe:
I received this awesome cookbook for Christmas. " The Pioneer Woman Cooks, A Year of Holidays."
I just knew I would find our Christmas breakfast inside. Don't let the title of this fool you. When I think of French Toast, I think of sweet. This dish is as Savory as it gets. I loved it. The kids, eh, not so much. It's ok, though, they had cereal. :)

The Recipe:

6 Everything Bagels
Butter for greasing pan
One 8oz. Package Cream Cheese
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 Tbls chopped chives, plus more for serving
1 tsp. Dry mustard
1/2 tsp. Cayenne
1/2 tsp. Salt

Grease 9x13 casserole dish with butter. Tear bagels into peices and place in casserole dish. In seperate bowl, whisk eggs, milk, cream, cayenne, chives, mustard, and salt. Meanwhile, cut block of cream cheese into small squares and place them all over top of bagels in various places (note: whole top will not be covered). Pour egg mixture all over bagels. Sprinkle cheddar cheese all over. Cover with foil and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight. Bake 450 degrees for 45 minutes, uncover and finish baking 15 to 20minutes more. Cut and serve with extra chives...

My notes:
Well, I didnt change this recipe. I wanted to make it "as-is" because I knew the bagels were so flavorful. I would, however, change one thing. I would skip the cayenne and use some Siracha or even Franks Red Hot instead. I think that would give it just the right flavorful kick. Go ahead and try it! Just a few squirts should do!!

Comments