Sage and Butternut Orzo


The Menu:
Sage and Butternut Orzo
The Original Recipe:
I haven't been changing recipes around as much, lately. My inspiration has left me. I am so glad that the few new dishes I have been making have the perfect recipe for me to follow (leaving out the need to change them!). This recipe is no different. It's delicious. I could have just eaten this as the main course. However, I did pair it with broiled Tilapia. I will be making this again.

Sage and Butternut Orzo

3 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 2-pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
4 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup orzo
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage

Melt butter in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add butternut squash and stir to coat. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and wine. Simmer until squash is almost tender and liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, bring 3 1/2 cups broth to boil in heavy saucepan. Add orzo. Boil until tender but still firm to bite, about 8 minutes. Drain orzo if necessary. Transfer orzo to large bowl. Stir in butternut squash mixture, then Parmesan and sage. Season with salt and pepper.

Comments

Andrea said…
Mmmm, this sounds so delicious!