Sopapilla Cheesecake

The Menu:
Sopapilla Cheesecake

The Original Recipe:
This is comfort food at it's best! Warning: You will have to make this to share with company or you will sit and eat it bite by bite all by yourself. I only used 1 1/2 8oz. pkg. of cream cheese and 3/4 cup of sugar. I think you could add less if you add a jam or some fruit. I also added a jar of my home made peach jam from last summer on top of the cream cheese mixture. YUM!

Sopapilla Cheesecake via myyellowumbrella.blogspot.com

Ingredients:
-2 cans pillsbury butter crescent rolls
-2 (8oz) packages cream cheese (softened)
-1 cup sugar
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1/4 cup butter (melted)
-Cinnamon & sugar

Instructions:
Unroll and spread 1 can crescent rolls on bottom of un-greased pan. Combine softened cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Spread mixture over crescent rolls. Unroll and spread remaining crescent rolls over mixture. Spread melted butter over the top and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.

**Edit 8.20.11: to save some calories (and dough...as in mulah! oh, the puns are endless...), I have found that I can actually cut the recipe down to 2 cans of crescent roll dough. Just spread the dough a bit thinner and you can still cover a 9x13 pan. I also use Neufchâtel in place of cream cheese (they're right next to each other on your grocer's shelf). It's 1/3 less fat (and a higher protein content) and you can't tell the difference one bit! There's no way you can pass this recipe as healthy, but this at least helps. :)

**Edit 2.2.12: I've been receiving a lot of questions about this recipe, so I thought I'd update with an FAQs section. Let me know if I don't answer your questions here!

  • Does this need to be refrigerated? Yes, I do refrigerate it unless I'm going to be serving it soon. I prefer to serve it at room temperature, but I would never leave it out overnight or anything. Cream cheese is still dairy and I wouldn't want to risk this going bad!
  • I'm not in the U.S.; can this be made using puff pastry? I haven't made this with puff pastry, but I'd say give it a whirl and report back! It's still dough, cream cheese and sugar, right? While the texture would be a bit different, I can't imagine it tasting bad. :)
  • What size pan? The amounts above call for a 9x13 pan. I have halved the recipe before and filled an 8x8.
  • Do you press the perforations together? If I'm using the regular crescent roll dough, I do. I've seen lots of suggestions to lay out a piece of cling wrap and roll the dough out there, making it easier to flip over onto the cream cheese. Or, you could skip this step and buy the sheets--they should be in the same place as the rest of the cans of dough.
  • How much cinnamon sugar on top? My mixture is 1 part cinnamon to 3 parts sugar. As for how much, however much I need to cover the top to my liking. It's really up to you!
  • Is this better served warm or cold? See above, but I like it at room temperature! You don't want the cream cheese mixture to be runny (and it will run if it's too warm), but you don't want it cold either. Well, I don't...but this is up to you! 

Comments

Velva said…
You are right, without guests I would eat this bite to bite till it was all gone. Delicious!

Velva