Chicken in Tomato and Basil Cream

The Menu:
Chicken in Tomato and Basil Cream

The Original Recipe:
I won a Taste of Home contest and came in 3rd place with my recipe!! ** is my addition to the end. I have made it a few times, and I ended up grilling the chicken one of those times, so I thought to add it to my post!

Chicken in Tomato-Basil Cream Sauce Recipe

Chicken in Tomato-Basil Cream Sauce Recipe
Chicken in Tomato-Basil Cream Sauce Recipe

Directions

  • In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in 2 teaspoons butter until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute tomatoes and onion in remaining butter until onion is softened. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
  • Stir in broth. Bring to a boil; add orzo. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until orzo is tender. Stir in the chicken, milk, basil, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle with cheese just before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts 1-1/2 cups equals 417 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 723 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 35 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 whole milk, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Chicken in Tomato-Basil Cream Sauce in Healthy Cooking August/September 2012, p48
Tip

The History of Feta

FETA is a white, salty, semi-firm cheese. Traditionally it was made from sheep or goat's milk but is now also made with cow's milk. After feta is formed in a special mold, it's sliced into large pieces, salted and soaked in brine. Although feta cheese is mostly associated with Greek cooking, "feta" comes from the Italian word "fette", meaning slice of food.

Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.


 
**Since it is summer, I grilled my chicken out on the grill with some Italian seasonings and a bit of garlic powder on them. I then diced them up and added them in with the tomatoes. However, in the winter, I would do as the directions state.

Comments

Deborah said…
I have been eating up tomatoes like crazy lately. This sounds delicious!