Pigs in Ponchos: Quesadilla-Wrapped Franks and Beans

The Menu:
Pigs in Ponchos: Quesadilla-Wrapped Franks and Beans

The Original Recipe:
When I saw these in an email, I had to make them. I had some hotdogs my dad gave us to use up, and this is what I found to do with them. I had to read it a few times in order to figure out how to assemble it. Then I looked at her sight and found a picture, so I know I did it right! They were good. I didn't make the kids try them (plus one of my sons hates cheese, and you need to have it on there!). My husband had 2 and I had 1. They were really good. I love quesadillas. With all the flavor, though, you couldn't really taste the dog, so not sure it added anything... but, it was a fun different way to try them. I made them "as is" too. I had everything I needed (including the poblano I had frozen from last summer, in which I grilled for this, and it was perfect!).

Pigs in Ponchos: Quesadilla-Wrapped Franks and Beans-4kowboys via Rachael Ray

Serves 8

Bundle hot dogs in quesadilla "ponchos" and pile with peppers, beans, cheese and salsa verde for a whole new take on pigs in blankets!


 8 good-quality hot dogs
· 1 can vegetarian (lard-free) spicy refried beans (16 ounces)
· 1 large poblano pepper
· 16 flour tortillas (8-inch), heated to soften slightly
· About 1 1/2 cups homemade or store-bought salsa verde
 Yellow mustard, jalapeƃ±o mustard or honey mustard
 2 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 3/4 pound)
 All-natural cooking spray

Preparation

Heat a griddle or grill pan over medium-high heat or prepare an outdoor grill.
Parboil the hot dogs for a few minutes in boiling water to heat through. In a medium size saucepan, heat the beans over medium heat (or cover and heat in the microwave on high for 3 minutes), adding a little water to thin slightly.Meanwhile, char the pepper evenly over an open flame on the stovetop, under a hot broiler or over the grill coals. Cool the pepper in a bowl covered with plastic wrap, then peel, seed and slice.To make the quesadilla "ponchos," top each of four tortillas with a thin layer of salsa, a swirl of mustard, a few slices of pepper and lots of cheese; top with the remaining four tortillas. Spread the top of each quesadilla with some beans and set a dog at one end. Wrap and roll the quesadillas around the dogs; repeat with the remaining ingredients. Spray the ponchos with cooking spray and grill for a few minutes to brown and crisp the tortillas evenly on all sides and melt the cheese.

Comments