Lazy Pierogie Lasagna Bake

The Menu:
Lazy Pierogie

The Original Recipe:
DEe-liii-cious (she exclaimed in a sing-song voice). I know this is a total comfort food in this house. My husband, when asked, "what do you want for supper?" He will immediately reply (with out my even asking, I know this answer. I think I just do it to see if it will change!) "Pierogies." This must be his favorite food on earth. I was so happy when I found this recipe in an email from Gooseberry Patch. I know it's summer, and most ovens are "out of service" for the hot days, but on a cloudy cool day like today it was perfect! I hate frying up frozen pierogies, in which we almost never have them. (Maybe this is why my huband mentions them each time. Maybe he's giving me grief over never having them!). This is a great solution! Delish!

Lazy Pierogie


Enjoy this recipe from Our Favorite Freezer Friendly Recipes (M242). Via gooseberry patch

15 lasagna noodles, cooked and divided

2 c. mashed potatoes

2 eggs, beaten

8-oz. pkg. shredded Cheddar cheese

garlic salt, pepper and onion powder to taste

1/2 c. butter

1 onion, chopped

Garnish: sour cream

Arrange 5 lasagna noodles in a lightly greased 13"x9" baking pan; set aside. Combine potatoes, eggs, cheese and seasonings; spread half of mixture over lasagna noodles. Cover with another 5 lasagna noodles; spread with remaining potato mixture. Top with remaining lasagna noodles; set aside. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat; sauté onion until tender. Pour onion mixture over lasagna noodles. Cover with aluminum foil; bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing into squares. Serve with sour cream on the side.


Freeze & Serve Instructions: Cover unbaked casserole tightly with aluminum foil; freeze. To serve, thaw overnight in refrigerator. Bake and serve as directed.

*I used only 12 noodles, and an 8x12 casserole dish. It all fit perfectly. I think next time I might layer some onions on each potato layer, too. We like our onions!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Delish dish alright! It is always good to make such tasty food with so little effort.