Fruit Cocktail Cake

The Menu:
Fruit Cocktail Cake



The Original Recipe:
Do you ever have any cans of food sitting around and you don't know what to do with them? Or do you ever have leftovers of half used cans of food and you don't know what to do with them? I have been finding that I am not all that sure what to do with some things in our cupboards. I decided to ask my friends over at Cooking for your Family board and I got some great suggestions for canned fruit cocktail that I want to use up. This is one of those recipes. I made it this morning. It was very quick to throw together. I did change it (of course) and it worked out great. The cake is almost gone. It certainly gives you your sugar kick for the day!



Fruit Cocktail Cake



1 1/2 cups sugar

2 eggs

2 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

2 cups fruit cocktail (1 can)

1/3 cups brown sugar

1/2 cups chopped almonds or pecans

6 tablespoons butter

1 5-ounce can evaporated milk

3/4 cups sugar

1 16-ounce container cool whip or ice cream



Mix first 5 ingredients together with a mixer and spread evenly in a greased 9x13 pan. Mix together brown sugar and nuts and sprinkle on top. Pat gently. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until done. In saucepan, bring to boil butter, milk, and sugar. Boil for 5 minutes. Pour warm glaze over baked cake while still warm. Serve with coolwhip or icecream

 
The Way I Made It My Own:
This cake uses a lot of sugar. I think I could of reduced it even more, but I have never made it before, so I used a majority of what it called for. I don't like nuts in my sweets, so I didn't add those. I think next time I would use 1/2 cup brown sugar and maybe 1/4 cup white sugar or maybe even eliminate the white sugar all together. Here's what I did this time:               (Oh! and I must confess... I now have about 10 oz. (or less since I cannot stop eating it with a spoon!) of sweetened condensed milk left that I need to figure out what to do with it!)
 
Fruit Cocktail Cake



1  cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups fruit cocktail (1 can)
1/3 cups brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter
5 oz. sweetend condensed milk

1 16-ounce container cool whip or ice cream (optional)


Mix first 5 ingredients together with a mixer and spread evenly in a greased 9x13 pan. Sprinkle brown sugar on top. Pat gently. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until done. In saucepan, bring to boil butter and sweetend condensed milk to a simmer, melting the butter. Pour ontop of cake while cake is still hot. Serve with cool whip or ice cream.
*Notes: Next time I will try using brown sugar in place of the white sugar in the cake mix and eliminate the white all together.

Comments