Hoppin' John

The Menu:
Hoppin' John

The Original Recipe:
I found this on Babycenter Cooking for Your Family board.  I know, a little late for the new year, but a little luck now is better than none at all! I used this recipe as an inspiration to my own recipe below.

HOPPIN' JOHN


(Sharon --GatorGrrrl)

4 cans black eyed peas

2 pieces of chopped up bacon

1 large onion, diced

1 large carrot, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 jalapeno (take the seeds out to cut the spice)

1 large smoked ham hock

1 tsp thyme

1 tsp parsley

1 tsp oregano

1-2 cups water

Cooked white rice



I make mine with canned black eyed peas (sacrilege, I know, but this is a busy time of year, folks!) I saute 2 pieces of chopped up bacon and use the bacon drippings to saute a large onion, garlic and a jalapeno, then I had big smoked ham hock, 4 cans of black eye peas, a tsp each of thyme, parsley and oregano. Then I add just enough water to make it soupy, about 2 cups. I let it simmer for at least an hour, but the longer the better. At a certain point, take the ham hock out and let it cool and chop up the ham and stir it back in.

Serve over white rice.

The Way I Made It My Own:
So, I had dried peas to make this dish, and I had to change a few other things. My oldest had 2 bowls! My other kids ate it with out complaining and under 30 minutes, too! We have a winner! This made a lot, but we only have 1 small bowl leftover! My family eats. A lot.
 
HOPPIN' JOHN


1 bag black eyed peas

1 large onion, diced

4  carrots, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 jalapeno (take the seeds out to cut the spice)

1 large smoked ham hock (or, I used about 3 cups diced smoked precooked ham)

1 tsp thyme

1 tsp parsley

1 tsp oregano

5 cups water

3/4 white rice

Rinse peas and soak for 1 hour. Drain. Saute onion, garlic and carrots in pan. Add seasonings, ham, peas, jalapeno and water. Cover and simmer on low for 2 hours until peas are becoming tender. Add rice, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Let stand additional 5 minutes for rice to finish cooking. It should be nice and thick and creamy.
.

Comments