Chicken Orzo Skillet
The Original Recipe:
I made this for supper last week. I haven't made it before, so it was a new recipe to me. I loved it. My husband loved it. The kids, well, I knew by looking at it that it wasn't something they would love. I did have so much leftover that I invited a friend of mine, who had friends of hers staying with them, over for lunch and I heated the leftovers up to serve. They loved it! Even as a leftover it went over very well.
Chicken Orzo Skillet ~ Healthy Cooking ~ (Andrew&Elliott - Nicci)
• 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
• 2 teaspoons salt-free garlic seasoning blend
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 1 tablespoon Crisco® Pure Olive Oil
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
• 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
• 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 3/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
• 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
• 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
• Sprinkle chicken with garlic seasoning blend. In a large skillet, saute chicken and onion in oil for 5-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
• Stir in the tomatoes, spinach, broth, orzo, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes if desired. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until orzo is tender and liquid is absorbed. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 4 servings.