The Original Recipe:
I was given this recipe from a friend of my mom. I haven't made it yet, but it will be our breakfast on Christmas morning, so I thought I would share. I don't think you could go wrong with this dish at all. I have made other dishes similar, but the addition of the cream cheese to this has intrigued me. I cannot wait for breakfast in the morning. Merry Christmas Everyone!!
STUFFED FRENCH TOAST
8-12 slices bread, cubed, without crust
1-1/2 packages cream cheese, softened
1 dozen eggs
2 cups milk
1/3 cup maple syrup
• Cube bread and put into 9 x 13” dish.
• Cube cheese and put over bread cubes
• Beat eggs, and add milk & syrup
• Pour mixture over bread and cream cheese cubes.
• Cover with plastic wrap
• Refrigerate overnight
• Next morning, bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until done
• Serve with syrup or fruit
• Variations: Use diet bread, lite cream cheese, 1% milk,
Egg beaters, light syrup
Well, I hadn't had the chance to eat today. I woke up at 2 am with the lovely stomach flu on Christmas Day. My poor 5 year old did as well. However, the rest of the family said they loved this. I used 14 slices of bread and only 9 eggs, and it apparently turned out wonderful. I couldn't get a picture, nor could I be in the same room as the lovely smell coming from it. What a day!
***I made this dish recently for a church breakfast, and it was delicious!! I recommend using some syrup or thin out some jam to pour over top! YUM! It was really good! I would make it again!