Pepper Jack Potato Soup and Crockpot Cheesy Potato Soup

The Menu:
Crockpot Cheesy Potato Soup

The Original Recipe:
My friend April gave this recipe to me. Actually, she made it and gave me some to eat! It was soooo good. I love spicy things and this one had a nice kick but not overwhelming. So, I got the recipe. Of course, my kids don't like spice, so I made this a different way (which follows this one!) that is perfect for the whole family...

Pepper Jack Potato Soup

Ingredients:
3 strips of Bacon (crisp and crumbled)
1 tbls. olive oil
1/4 medium yellow onion, diced
1 garlic clove
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 red bell pepper
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
2 cups russet potatoes, cubed
3 tbls. cup butter
3 tbls. cup flour
1 (12 oz. can) evaporated milk
8 oz. pepper jack cheese
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground thyme

heat oil in soup pot on medium heat. Add onions, garlic, carrots and bell peppers; cook and stir until the onions are soft. Add the broth and bring to boil. Decrease the heat and simmer about 20 minutes or until carrots are cooked.
Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in a medium sauce pan until they are tender (about 10 minutes). Drain and add to the soup with the bacon. Wipe out the pan if necessary and use for the next step.
Melt the butter over low heat. Add the flour and turn the heat up slightly and whisk until the mixture is bubbly. Add the milk whisking constantly until the mixture thickens. Add to the soup. Stir in cheese and continute to stir until melted. Do not boil. Add salt, pepper and thyme. Serve.

The Way I Made It My Own:
This was so good that my 13 yr. old had 2 bowls!! This is a great alternative to the above!! A great cheesy potato soup for sure! I love how easy it was to adapt to the crockpot. I know, there is still some work at the end, but it's worth it! I have tried and tried to add the slurry in with my cream soups in the crockpot, but they always turn gritty on me. I am not sure why. So, a quick 3 minutes  to whisk up the slurry before we eat isn't a big deal to me. It turns out great every time!

Crockpot Cheesy Potato Soup


Ingredients:
5 strips of Bacon (crisp and crumbled) (I used turkey bacon)
1/4 medium yellow onion, diced
1 garlic clove
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 red bell pepper
1 1/2 cup chicken broth (or I used 2 pkt.s sodium/msg free bullion powder and 2 cups water)
5 medium white potatoes, cubed
3 tbls. cup butter
3 tbls. cup flour
1 (12 oz. can) evaporated milk ( I used Fat Free)
8 oz. Cheddar cheese
1/2 block cream cheese ( I used low fat)
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground thyme

In Crockpot combine potatoes, broth, carrots, onion, peppers and garlic. Cook on low 8 hours (or until carrots and potatoes are tender).

After potatoes and carrots are tender, melt, on the stove in a saute pan, the butter over low heat. Add the flour and turn the heat up slightly and whisk until the mixture is bubbly. Add the milk whisking constantly until the mixture thickens. Add the cheeses to the mixture. Stir into crockpot, whisking it in.  Add salt, pepper and thyme and crumbled bacon.  Stir and Serve.





Comments