Home Made Christmas Present #2 (edible)

The Menu:
Friendship Soup Mix in a Jar


Finished Product



The Original Recipe:
I found something similar on allrecipes.com, but I formed my own. I made some tonight, and I thought it was delicious. It reminds me of vegetable soup. Yum!
I am going to put the finished jar of soup in a basket, along with the tomatoes and carrots and a pack of corn muffin mix to have a complete meal for the people I am giving it to. I think it's gonna turn out to be a wonderful gift basket, not to mention a really great fast meal where there is no prepping or chopping of veggies!



Friendship Soup Mix in a Jar



INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup dry split peas

1/4 cup beef bouillon granules

1/4 cup pearl barley

1/2 cup dry lentils

1/4 cup dried onion flakes

1 tsp. black pepper

1 tsp. garlic powder

½ tsp. celery seed

2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning

1/4 cup uncooked long-grain white rice

2 bay leaves

1/2 cup uncooked alphabet pasta



DIRECTIONS:

1. In a 1 1/2 pint jar, layer the split peas, bouillon, barley, lentils, onion flakes, Italian seasoning, celery seed, rice, and bay leaves. Wrap the pasta in plastic wrap, and place in the jar. Seal tightly.

2. Attach a label to the jar with the following instructions:



ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
1 (32 ounce) can diced tomatoes, 1 can carrots, 2 quarts water.


TO PREPARE SOUP:


1. Remove pasta from top of jar, and set aside.

2.Add 32 oz. tomatoes, 2 quarts of water, and soup mix.

3.Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.

4.Cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.

5.Stir in the pasta and carrots(rinsed and drained), cover, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pasta, peas, lentils and barley are tender

*Optional to add cooked ground beef or cooked stew meat or cooked ground pork

Comments