Roasted Red Pepper Hummus with Homemade Pita Bread for chips

The Menu:
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus


The Original Recipe:
I had some red peppers to roast, and I had most of the ingredients to make hummus, so I figured, why not some roasted red pepper hummus!

First I roasted the red peppers.
Roasted Red Peppers

Line a baking sheet with foil. Spray with olive oil. Cut red peppers in half and deseed. Place oven rack into top position in oven. Turn broiler on high. Place red peppers, skin side up, on baking sheet and spray both sides with oil. Broil for 10 minutes (checking in between to make sure not overly burnt), until skins start to char. Turn over and roast for 3 minutes. After charred immediately take out and place in an airtight container for 10-15 minutes. Skins should peel right off, and use as recipes direct. I cut the rest of mine into strips, places separately on the cookie sheet and froze, then added them into a ziploc baggie for later use.



The Original Recipe:
I found this on my favorite board. This is a great basic recipe. The Way I Made It My Own follows.

Hummus


Rachel ~ burns_toast

Ingredients

2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans

1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)

6 tablespoons lemon juice

3 garlic cloves, pressed

1 teaspoon ground cumin

salt and pepper

Directions

Drain beans and reserve the liquid when you do so. Blend beans, along with the other ingredients and 1/4 cup of the liquid. Process until the mixture is smooth. Add liquid until the desired consistency is reached. Adjust seasonings along with more cumin, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

 
The Way I Made It My Own:
YUMMY!!!!!!! 'nuf said!
 
 
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

Ingredients

2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans

2 tbls. Natural Peanut Butter (if you do not have tahini)

6 tablespoons lemon juice

3 garlic cloves, pressed

1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

3 Roasted Red Peppers (yes, 3 whole roasted peppers)

salt and pepper

Directions

Drain beans and reserve the liquid when you do so. Blend beans, along with the other ingredients and 1/4 cup of the liquid. Process until the mixture is smooth. Add liquid until the desired consistency is reached. Adjust seasonings along with more cumin, lemon juice, salt and pepper if needed.


The Original Recipe:
I found this pita bread recipe awhile ago and was just scared to make it. Well, I finally gave it a whirl, and it wasn't to bad. I am a horrible baker. I don't like to measure, and I love to change recipes. Well, you can't do that when baking! They turned out fairly well! I even got the little pocket in some of them. You have to let them cook for 3 minutes on each side in order to cook the whole way through. I set the timer for each.

( I don't know if you can see it or not, but on the left, is one open showing the pocket. The ones on the right, I cut up to make pita chips out of them. I baked them at 350 degrees for about 3-4 minutes on each side to make them crispy, so I could use them to dip in my hummus!)


Pita Bread



Makes 8 flatbreads


Ingredients:


3 c. flour


1 1/2 c. boiling water

1/4 c. potato flour OR 1/2 c. potato flakes


1 1/4 tsp. salt


2 Tbs. vegetable oil


1 tsp. INSTANT yeast



Directions:


Place 2 cups of the flour into a large mixing bowl (or Kitchen Aid). Pour the boiling water over the flour, and stir till smooth. Cover the bowl and set the mixture aside for 30 minutes. This process will cook out some of the starch, making the bread very soft and pliable.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the potato flour (or flakes) and 1 cup of the remaining flour with the salt, oil and yeast. Add this to the cooled flour/water mixture, stir, then knead for several (5-7) minutes to form a soft dough. Add additional flour only if necessary-- The dough should form a ball, but will remain somewhat soft. Let the dough rise, covered, for 1 hour. (Note: Since this is a flatbread, the dough will not rise very much due to the small amount of yeast-- But it should still rise noticeably.)

Divide the dough into 8 pieces (each around 3-4 oz.-- I use my kitchen scale for this), cover, and let rest on an oiled surface for 15 to 30 minutes. Roll each piece into an 8-inch circle, and dry-fry them (fry without oil) on a griddle or frying pan over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until they’re flecked with brown spots. Adjust the heat if they seem to be cooking either too quickly, or too slowly; cooking too quickly means they may be raw in the center, while too slowly will dry them out. Stack the cooked bread in between a soft, clean towel to keep them warm and soft. Serve immediately, or cool before storing in a plastic bag.

Comments