Cashew God Bless You Chicken

The Menu:
Cashew God Bless You Chicken


The Original Recipe:
I have had this recipe in my "to try" file for awhile now. It is a Rachael Ray recipe from her 30 minute meals. My family thought it was ok. It wasn't one of our favorites (I liked it; I had 2 bowls!), but the kids were so-so about it. Of course, I left out the spice for them, but added to my bowl.


Cashew! God Bless You Chicken


courtesy of Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals

1 box jasmine rice

1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced

Combine chicken in a bowl with:
1 Tbsp sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced and mashed
2 Tbsp rice wine, rice vinegar, or dry sherry
a couple of shakes of crushed red pepper flakes
black pepper, to taste
Set it aside and let it hang out while you chop veggies.
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 large carrot, peeled and diced into small cubes
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 can (abt 7 oz) sliced water chestnuts, drained and coarsley chopped
3 heaping Tbsp hoisin sauce [available on the Asian food aisle]
a couple of handfuls of unsalted cashews [I use lightly salted, usually]
3 green onions, thinly sliced on an angle

Following directions on box, start rice.
Heat oil in wok or large nonstick skillet over high heat until it smokes. Add carrot and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until browned around the edges. Add the coated chicken and cook another 3-4 minutes. Toss in the bell pepper and chestnuts. Heat through for 1 minute. Add the hoisin and toss to coat evenly. Dump chicken out over a bed of jasmine rice and top with cashews and green onions.



Comments