Tomato Spinach Soup

I have had this recipe in my "to try" file for a looong time. It was good. A bit to much Italian seasoning to me, so next time I won't add as much if any at all ( I thought it tasted like spaghetti sauce with the seasonings). My husband said he liked it, and he would eat it again. I said, "good, you can have it for lunch tomorrow."  :oD

The Menu:
Tomato Spinach Soup


The Original Recipe:
I believe I found this on Babycenter long ago. I only changed a minor thing, so it is written under the recipe with an * before it.


Tomato Spinach Soup


Ingredients

1 Large shallot, finely chopped
 2 cloves Garlic, diced
1/4 cup Onion, diced small
 2 tbsp Olive oil
28 oz. Can crushed tomatoes
 14 oz. Can diced tomatoes
14 oz. Can chicken or vegetable broth
 2 tsp Sugar
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
5 oz (half a bag) of cleaned spinach
Parm cheese

Preparation

Saute shallot, onion and garlic in olive oil about 5 minutes. Drain diced tomatoes add to pan with crushed tomatoes,

broth, spices and salt and pepper to taste. Shred spinach with a knife and add in handfuls to wilt in soup. Add sugar by

the spoonful if soup tastes bitter, about 2 tsp should do it. Let it simmer 10 minutes and serve with a sprinkling of parm

cheese. If you like your tomato soup thinner, add more broth. This makes about 6 hearty servings

* I added half a can of canned milk to make it creamier.

Comments