Caramel Soaked French Toast

This just sounded soooooo good!! I had to make it to see what it was all about. My kids loved it! Who wouldn't with all that yummy caramel flavor! I wouldn't recommend making this more than once a year, as it could be quite addicting which in turn would make it very fattening! But for an occasional breakfast, yummy!

The Menu:
Caramel Soaked French Toast


The Original Recipe:
I found this on my favorite recipe website. I had a french toast casserole at a friends house which prompted me to look for one on the internet until I recieved her recipe by email. I will be making hers for our Christmas breakfast this year, and posting once I do.

Caramel Soaked French Toast

Prep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min. Chill: 8 hours
Bake: 50 min. Stand: 10 min.

1-1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
¾ c. butter or margarine
¼ c. plus 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
10 (1-1/2” thick) French bread slices, or 1 (10 oz.) loaf of French bread, cut into 1-1/2” thick slices
4 large eggs
2-1/2 c. milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ c. butter or margarine, melted

Garnish: fresh raspberries

Stir together first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until mixture is bubbly. Pour mixture evenly into a lightly greased 13 x 9” baking dish. Arrange bread slices over syrup.

Whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, and salt; gradually pour over bread slices. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.

Stir together granulated sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over the bread. Drizzle evenly with ¼ c. melted butter.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with raspberries if desired.

Comments