Jambalaya

I made this last week. Of course, no picture, but it was VERY good! It is spicy, but my 11 year old loves it. He makes sure he has bread and milk to eat along with it. Of course, you can make the original recipe, which isn't spicy or you can make it the way I did and cut the spice out by not using Rotel, but it is so worth it!


The Menu:
Jambalaya
(I added black beans to this one!)
 
 

The Original Recipe:
I got this off of Babycenter, and of course, changed it to make it my own (recipe below this one).

Easy Southern Jambalaya
1 large onion, diced'
1 large bell pepper diced
2-3 cloves garlic minced
1-2 stalks celery, chopped
1-2 T. vegetable oil (I like olive)
1 pound sausage, cut in slices, or crumbled
14 oz. can diced Italian tomatoes, pureed in blender or processor
2-3 t. Italian seasoning to taste)
1 cup raw rice
2 cups water

In a large pot, saute sausage for a few minutes. Drain part of the excess oil if you wish. Add veggies and saute till they are soft. Add tomato puree and water and heat to boiling. Add rice and stir well. Cover, lower heat to simmer and leave for 20 minutes without lifting the lid.


The Way I Made It My Own:
I wanted SPICE!! I wanted Chicken and Shrimp (I am not a big sausage fan)... All this equals YUMMY in my book!

Rachel's Jambalaya

1 large onion, diced
1 large bell pepper, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 stalks celery, chopped
1-2 T. olive oil
3 chicken Breasts, cubed
1 lb. thawed, peeled, deveined, precooked shrimp (I used small ones)
1 can Rotel tomatoes
14 oz. can diced Italian tomatoes, pureed in blender or processor
2-3 t. Italian (seasoning to taste)
3 tsp. creole seasoning
1 cup raw brown rice
2 cups water

In a large pot, saute chicken with creole seasoning, in oil until no longer pink. Add veggies and saute till they are soft. Add tomato puree, rotel and water and heat to boiling. Add rice and stir well. Cover, lower heat to simmer and leave for 45 minutes without lifting the lid. During the last 5 minutes, add shrimp, stir, cover and cook remaining 5 minutes or until rice is tender. * added black beans to this dish one time, too! Yum!

Comments