Potato Kielbasa Bake

I just wanted to add that I have made this a whole bunch of times, so far, and we love it every time. It is worth the making!!

The Menu:
Potato Kielbasa Bake

The Original Recipe:

I saw this on Rachael Ray show for budget meals. I had to double everything since I live in a household with 6 of us. I just didn't think this recipe was enough to feed us all. (I do have 4 boys, well, 5 if you count hubby!) even though she said it feeds 8. I didn't change the recipe enough to have "made it my own" I just doubled things.



Potato Kielbasa Bake


Ingredients
2 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
1 pound kielbasa (Polish sausage), cut on an angle into 1-inch pieces
1 pound frozen, diced hash brown potatoes, defrosted
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups homemade chicken stock
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
2 cups refrigerated sauerkraut
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese


Yields: 6 to 8 servings
Preparation


Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan of EVOO. Cook kielbasa until brown and crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Remove the sausage from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the hash brown potatoes into the same pan with the sausage drippings and cook until brown and crispy, about 4-5 minutes.

While the hash browns are crisping, place a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat with one turn of the pan of EVOO. Add the onions, garlic, salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook until tender, 5-6 minutes.
Sprinkle the flour over the ingredients in the pan and cook for about 30 seconds. Whisk in the chicken stock, milk and mustard. Bring the gravy up to a bubble, then reduce the heat and add the sauerkraut. Cook until the gravy has thickened and the sauerkraut is heated through, 3-4 minutes.

Stir the reserved kielbasa into the gravy and sauerkraut, and transfer the mixture to a 9x13” casserole dish. Top with the hash brown potatoes and a sprinkling of shredded cheese. Transfer to oven and cook until the cheese has melted.



What we thought of this Dish:

It Was sooooo YUMMY!! Oh man! It was good! There was plenty for everyone and a 9x13 pan was filled. I used 2 lb. of turkey Kielbasa and turkey stock I had frozen. I used 32 oz. bag of potatoes, too. It was just good! I will make this again for sure!

Comments