Home Made Salsa for Canning!

I have canned almost 60 jars of tomatoes!! I have way to many! I figure if we go broke we will still have our health due to all the good nutrients and vitamins in tomatoes! lol



The Menu:

Home Made Salsa for Canning


The Original Recipe:
I got and idea for this recipe off of pick your own.org I didn't follow it as directed though, but this is pretty much what I did. I like to taste and add what else I think it needs, but this recipe is great! I got 12 8oz. jars, 1 16oz. jar and 2 quart jars. I ran out of jars and had to use what I had. It filled a big pot full to the brim!

SALSA

Ingrediants:

20 medium to large tomatoes (seeded, peeled and drained)
5 chopped green onion
1 Tablespoons of oregano
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup diced assorted mild peppers (red, yellow, orange, banana, whatever you have)
1/4 cup diced, fresh cilantro (2 tbls. dried)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 to 4 diced jalapeƱo peppers (depends on how hot you want it)
1 tablespoon salt (optional - I don't put any in!
1 cup 5% apple cider vinegar (or 2 cups of lemon juice)
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder

Cook tomatoes in boiling water for 3 minutes to blanch. Quickly place out of hot water into cold ice water to cool down. After cooling, drain and remove skins. Skins should peel of very easily, and I also take out core. Gently peel some of the pockets back on the tomato and remove the seeds and squeeze juice out. Drain tomatoes from juice.

In food processer, chop onion, garlic, bell peppers, hot pepper, cilantro, and other seasonings together along with vinigar.

Add remaining tomatoes to large stock pot, squish with hand to break up tomatoes into smaller pieces; add in ingredients from blender and seasonings.bring to a simmer and cook for atleast 30 min. Add to jars and hot pack for 10 minutes.

Comments

Fawn said…
Wow! That looks delicious, Rachel! What a great little Martha you are! :) I wish I had the time to "cook" like you do!!!