Fish Tacos

Yep, you read that title right. We made fish tacos last night. I have never even heard of these things before, and honestly, they didn't sound good. However, I am into cooking things that don't sound right. I LOVE to try new foods. Yes, I am the weird one that will try anything once!! Anyone have any recipes for me to try?? I made the kids eat leftover Corndog Casserole! I wouldnt make them suffer.


The Menu:
Fish Tacos


The Original Recipe:
I had no clue how to make this or to change it. I found the recipe on Rachael Ray after I saw it on her show. Yes, I watch Rachael Ray... oh, and I cooked it on the stovetop, not on the grill.

Rachael Ray's Fish Tacos

· 1/4 cup vegetable oil
· 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped
· 1 small red onion, one-quarter finely chopped, the remainder thinly sliced
· 1 clove garlic, grated or finely chopped
· One can black beans (15 ounces), rinsed
· 1 teaspoon ground cumin
· Salt and pepper
· 3 tablespoons honey
· 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
· Juice of 2 limes, plus 2 teaspoons grated peel
· 1/2 head red cabbage, shredded
· 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro (a generous handful)
· Four mahi mahi fillets (6 ounces each)
· 8 corn taco shells
· 8 flour tortillas
· 1 cup crème fraîche or sour cream

Preparation
In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the jalapeño, chopped red onion and garlic and cook for 4 minutes. In a small bowl, mash the black beans with the cumin and season with salt and pepper; cover.
In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons oil with the honey, hot sauce and lime juice; season with salt and pepper. Add the sliced onion, cabbage and cilantro; toss.
Pre-heat a grill or grill pan to medium. Coat the fish with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the lime peel. Cover and grill the fish, turning once, for 8 minutes.
Warm the taco shells and tortillas on the grill. Spread a few spoonfuls of mashed beans (stir 1 to 2 tablespoons hot water into the beans if too thick) on the outside of the tacos, and wrap a tortilla around each one, pressing to adhere.Flake half a piece of fish into each taco shell and top with some cabbage slaw. Serve 2 tacos per person, with the crème fraîche and extra slaw on the side.


The Result!
Oh, you are waiting to see how they were, are you? They were AWESOME!! Oh man! They were soooo filling! 1 would have been more than enough, but nooooo... I had to stuff my face with another one and to be in misery all night because I was sooo stuffed, haha.. so yeah, they were good.






EDIT MAY 15, 2009
The Way I Made It My Own:
I found out a way to make it my own. I used Rachael Rays recipe but changed it up. I have to admit, it would taste good with the hard taco shell and the soft, but I don't like hard tacos, so I just used the soft taco and smooshed it all togehter, and it was a taco full of love and flavor!! :o) They are just so good!


Fish Tacos


(refried black bean mix)
1/4 cup Canola Oil
· 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped
· 1/3 cup chopped red onion
· 1 clove garlic, grated or finely chopped
· One can black beans (15 ounces), rinsed
· 1 teaspoon ground cumin
· Salt and pepper


(cole slaw mix)
· 3 tablespoons honey
· 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
4 green onions chopped with stems
· Juice of 2 limes or 1 tablespoon lime juice
· 1 bag preshredded cabbage (Dole brand)
· 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro (a generous handful)

· Four mahi mahi fillets (6 ounces each)
· 8 flour tortillas
· sour cream


PreparationIn a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the jalapeño, chopped red onion and garlic and cook for 4 minutes. In a pot, mash the black beans with the cumin and season with salt and pepper; heat through, adding some water if it is to thick. A stick blender works well.

In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons oil with the honey, hot sauce and lime juice; season with salt and pepper. Add the sliced green onion, cabbage and cilantro; toss.

Pre-heat a grill or grill pan (I used the stovetop) to medium. Coat the fish with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil a few sprinkles of lime juice or lime peel if you have it. Cover and grill the fish, turning once, for 8 minutes.

Warm the tortillas. Spread a spoonful of mashed beans on the inside of the tortilla. Add the slaw next, then flake half a piece of fish into each one.

Comments