Crockpot Cowboy Casserole

Well, I do not feel like cooking in the least, so I turn to my favorite way to get past this; my crock pot! I don't typically like meals that you have to cook before you cook, so I partially cook the ground meat and then throw it in the crock pot for this dish.


The Menu:
Crockpot Cowboy Casserole
Roasted Zucchini

The Original Recipe:
I found this recipe online somewhere while googling for crock pot recipes. It looked good, and I made it, and there have been requests for it again, so it was deemed a "keeper."

Crockpot Cowboy Casserole
Ingredients:
1 Onion chopped
2 lbs. Lean hamburger meat
3 Large potatoes
1 can Kidney beans
1 can 98% fat free tomato soup
Salt
Pepper
Garlic


Preparation:
Brown meat and put aside.
Put chopped onions in the bottom of the crock pot, layer with browned hamburger meat, sliced potatoes, kidney beans. Spread tomato soup over all.
Season as desired.
Cook on low 7-9 hours
The way I made it my own:
I think that this dish tastes a lot like chili with potatoes, so I made it more of a chili with potatoes! MMMM...
I normally use ground turkey, but about a month ago I received about 30 lb.s of fresh lean ground beef, straight from my dad's farm, so until this runs out, we will be using ground beef.
I also probably would have used white potatoes, but as luck has it, we had none. So, I used red potatoes which turned out Yummy!
Crockpot Kowboy Casserole

Ingredients:
1 small Onion chopped
1 1/2 lbs. Lean hamburger meat
3 Large red potatoes, cubed small
1 can Kidney beans
1 can 98% fat free tomato soup
1/2 can tomato soup can of water
Salt and pepper to taste
1/8 tsp. Garlic powder
1/8 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
additional 1/2 tsp. chili powder

Preparation:
Cook and crumble ground meat in separate pan, adding chili powder, onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste and put aside.
Put chopped onions in the bottom of the crock pot, layer with browned hamburger meat, cubed potatoes, kidney beans. Spread tomato soup and water over all, sprinkle with additional chili powder and pepper.
Cook on low 7-9 hours.
Side Dish:
I made this side dish using leftover zucchini from our kabobs the other night.. Awesome!
Roasted Zucchini

1 medium zucchini, sliced
Mrs. Dash Seasonings
EVOO
Place Zucchini on cookie sheet and sprinkle with a little bit EVOO and Mrs. Dash seasonings. Bake 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until tender. YUM!

Comments